Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Hummus Wonton Poppers with Avocado Lime Chimichurri Sauce

It was after the premiere of my recent piano quintet that we all went out to a tapas restaurant and I was introduced to chimichurri sauce.  O-M-G!!!  I thought I had died and gone to HEAVEN!!  I wanted to start dipping topping everything with it and dipping bread in it.  (Okay... along with the romesco sauce Sophie had with her meatballs).

So... I found a new love and appreciation for tapas.  Once again, I had a "hem-ha" first experience at a tapas bar.  It wasn't bad, but I certainly wasn't blown away.  These flavors totally changed my mind!

Thanks to my awesome friend Chloe for suggesting tapas that night and introducing my to this new world of flavors!  <3

The next day?  Well, let's say that Chloe and I went on a food making FRENZY!  We made two different types of wontons and both the chimichurri and romesco sauces.  We ate to our hearts content.

It had been too long...  I needed more of that sauce.  So... here we go.  Here's our SLIGHT adjustment to the recipe.  I won two "meatatarians" over with a (surprisingly totally) vegan meal.  :)  (Hadn't even thought about that until right now!)

Hummus Wonton Poppers
1 package wonton wrapper (50 count)
16 oz hummus (I used Trader Joe's Cilantro Jalapeno Hummus)

You'll need a little water to help seal these pouches.  In the center of a wrapper, place a scant tablespoon hummus in the center.  Wet the sides of the pouch and bring together the sides, sealing them with your fingers.

In a skillet, heat about 2 tablespoons oil on medium heat.  Once ready, place wontons into the skillet and cook on each side for about 3 minutes or until golden brown.

Remove from the skillet and, if desired, allow to drain on paper towels to remove the extra oil

Got a lot of people and want these as finger food for a party?  Double the recipe!

Avocado Lime Chimichurri Sauce
3 medium avocados
1 bunch cilantro
1 bunch Italian parsley
2 roasted poblano peppers
1 small red onion (about 1/2 cup)
4-5 cloves garlic
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup lime juice (about 4 limes)
3/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup water

In a blender, combine all of the ingredients and blend.  Base texture on your preference.  We blended it so it was nice and creamy.  If you like a little texture, just don't blend it as long.  It's that simple!

This makes a WHOOOOLE lot of sauce, so you'd better be prepared to use it as a topping for other dishes.  You could make some tacos, grill a nice steak, or top chicken breasts and a side of rice with the leftovers.  (You'll see the leftovers used on our Jamaican Jerk Chicken Tacos!).

If you don't think you'll be able to use that much, just cut the recipe in half.

No comments:

Post a Comment